1891

1891

THE WORLD-HERALD

The area now known as Offutt Air Force Base was first commissioned as Fort Crook, an Army post to house cavalry soldiers and their horses. This photo, circa 1905, shows mounted officers and infantry troops assembling on the parade ground. The officers’ quarters in the background still stand today, but the closing of Offutt’s stables in 2010 ended the base’s equine tradition.