Students begin summer transition program

Students move into Rodes Harlin hall at the beginning of the Summer Scholars program, a transition program to help students get ready for college.

Lily Burris

The first class of Summer Scholar students moved in today to begin a program which would help them transition into college so they can have a successful educational career here at WKU.

The Summer Scholars program is for students who graduated high school with a 2.00 to 2.49 GPA. While in the program, the students must keep a GPA of at least a 2.00 in order to stay at WKU in the fall. Upon arrival, students participated in Topper Orientation Program to go ahead and register for their fall classes.

“Everyone is here just helping students as much as possible,” said Nicholas Schiller, hall director for Minton Hall.

Students in the program take two full-time classes during the next five weeks. The classes are Literacy 199, which helps students learn how to be college students, and Social & Behavioral Science Course, which counts as a colonnade credit, or a mandatory hour that will go towards their degree. The students registered today for their classes and will be allowed to take them once they successfully complete this program.

Bryson Murphy, an incoming student from Corbin, Ky., plans to study business in the fall. He said his ultimate goal with this program is “to get a degree.”

Students in this program will get one-on-one advising throughout their time here. They will also attend development seminars and planned social activities. Dominic Williams, an incoming student from Stafford County, Va., who will study computer science in the fall, says he chose this program will help him get used to the campus.

“I’m ready to be on my own,” Williams said.

Parents and family members are required to drop their students off five weeks earlier than a normal semester. The early requirement left mixed feelings with some parents. Shenelle Henderson, of Lexington, was helping her son, Javen Hardin, move into the dorm.  While Hardin plans on studying sports management in the fall, his mother wasn’t sure if Hardin was ready, or if she was ready to leave him at WKU.

“My hopes is that he’ll come back more independent and educated,” Henderson said. 

News reporter Lily Burris can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @lily_burris.