WKU’s construction wish list totals $810.9 million through 2026

WKU is set to request funding for the destruction of Tate Page Hall. If the university can’t secure the funding, it will look to renovate the building. 

Nicole Ziege

The Board of Regents will vote to approve WKU’s six-year capital plan on Friday, which provides a request to the state by the university to fund various construction projects on campus within the next six years.

The total cost of WKU’s hopeful construction projects would be $810.9 million. Bryan Russell, WKU’s chief facilities officer, said there is currently no funding to start the projects listed in the plan, and it is a request to the state by WKU to fund the projects. He said it is required by law for WKU to submit an assessment plan every two years, and it is based off of facilities assessments and the university’s master plan. Receiving these funds is not guaranteed.

“It is a needs and desirables assessment for the university,” Russell said, referring to the six-year capital plan. “There are currently no plans to start those projects.”

Projects in the plan for 2020-22 include constructing a new Gordon Ford College of Business building, renovating Grise Hall, constructing a fourth parking structure, demolishing Tate Page Hall and demolishing the Garrett Conference Center.

The university is requesting $65.1 million for the Gordon Ford College of Business construction, $32.2 million for the renovations to Grise Hall and $25 million for the construction of Parking Structure IV.

For the demolitions of Tate Page Hall and Garrett Conference Center, the university is requesting $6 million and $7 million, respectively.

Within the plan, WKU listed both the demolition of Tate Page Hall and the later renovation of Tate Page Hall for $1.2 million.

Russell said if the building’s demolition cannot be funded, the building may still be in use for potential future classes and programs. For those to take place, the building might need minor renovations to its roof and other areas. Those renovations are included in the plan in order to get pre-authorization from the state to do them.

Projects for 2022-24 include renovating and expanding the Preston Health and Activity Center’s Student Intramural Recreation Facility, renovating and expanding the Intramural Sports Complex on South Campus and constructing a facility for the kinesiology, recreation and sports program, among other projects.

The university is requesting $20 million to renovate the Preston Center’s Student Intramural Recreation Facility, $11.8 million for renovations to the Intramural Sports Complex and $16 million for a Kinesiology, Recreation and Sports program building.

Construction projects for 2024-26 include renovating Jones Jaggers Hall and constructing the South Regional Postsecondary Education Center on WKU’s Glasgow campus, among others. For these projects, the university is requesting $11.4 million and $15 million, respectively, according to the university’s six-year capital plan.

The Board of Regents will meet and discuss the plan during its quarterly meeting on Friday at 9 a.m.

The total capital plan can be seen below (click to see the full PDF). 

News reporter Nicole Ziege can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @NicoleZiege.