Bike share program thrives in first semester at WKU

According to a previous Herald article, 100 rides were logged every day in the first days the bikes were available.

Jack Dobbs

In late 2018, WKU welcomed a new feature to campus. It came in the form of VeoRide, a bike-sharing service that allows students to rent a bicycle for a short time and ride around campus.

Assistant Vice President for Business Services Brad Wheeler said around 100 rides were logged every day in the first days the bikes were available.

Halfway through its first full semester on campus, the service is continuing to see popularity.

Wheeler said the service has been successful among the student body.

“Students are getting out and enjoying the service,” Wheeler said in an email. “The program is still in its infancy and has significant opportunities to be expanded.”

Wheeler also said since VeoRide’s inception on campus, over 5,600 bike rides have been logged by just over 1,000 riders, amounting to 1,248 miles ridden on the bikes. This has resulted in over 70,000 calories burned by the student body and over a half million grams of vehicle emissions reduced in the process.

Wheeler said the week of March 17-23 saw the largest daily ride count, with 197 rides logged throughout the week and an average of 155 rides per day.

Freshman Tristen Preston said he uses the service at least once a week.

“I just want to get down the Hill as fast as possible, and VeoRide makes me one step closer to that,” Preston said.

Wheeler also said some geofence areas are being created to encompass different parts of Bowling Green. The geofences operate as a virtual barrier in which the bikes can be used.

“Program administrators are also reaching out to private developments to expand the program further into the community,” Wheeler said.

VeoRide came to the Hill after a survey taken to gauge student and faculty support for a bike-sharing service showed significant interest. Students are able to rent a bike for 50 cents for 15 minutes, $17 per month or $70 per year.

Reporter Jack Dobbs can be reached at 270-745-0655 and [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @jackrdobbs.