Hilltoppers sign shot-blocking forward Isaiah Cozart

WKU men’s basketball coach Rick Stansbury reacts during WKU’s game vs. Florida Atlantic in E.A. Diddle Arena on Thursday Feb. 8, 2018. WKU beat Florida Atlantic 75-63.

Jeremy Chisenhall

WKU head coach Rick Stansbury has announced his first signing in the early signing period. 

The Hilltoppers have inked Isaiah Cozart to their 2019 class. Cozart is a three-star forward from Richmond. He verbally committed to WKU on Oct. 21. The 6-foot-7-inch high school senior is just six blocks away from the Kentucky high school state record. 

“We’re excited to have Isaiah join our family,” Stansbury said in a press release. “It’s very obvious he comes from a really good high school program where he’s been coached by coach Feldhaus, and he played for the same AAU program, M.A.T.T.S. Mustangs, as Taveion Hollingsworth.

“He’s a terrific student and comes from a great family – his father is a preacher and his mother is a counselor in higher education – and anytime you have the chance to do something that no other player has done in the history of high school basketball in the state of Kentucky, there’s something special about that. He’s a young player, and no question his best days lie ahead of him.”

The majority of Cozart’s 535 career blocks have come in his last two seasons. He had 216 as a sophomore, which ranked him second all-time in the state for blocks in a season. He also had 205 as a junior. The Madison Central product was an all-state selection his junior year. 

This is WKU’s first signing of the early period, which spans from Wednesday to Nov. 21. Following that, recruits will be unable to sign a National Letter of Intent until the regular signing period opens on April 17, 2019. 

Sports Editor Jeremy Chisenhall can be reached at 270-745-6291 and [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @JSChisenhall.