Students express their thoughts on voting during midterm elections

Megan Adkins talks with WKU senior Chris Wilburn as he sifts through a voter’s guide he received from the volunteers at the Kentuckians for the Commonwealth booth on campus. Wilburn planned to vote later in the day.

Natasha Breu

Students on WKU’s campus were asked about the value of voting and why today’s midterm election is important. Answers varied, but most students who decided to vote agreed that it was important to exercise their civic duty.

Several students who were asked if they voted or planned to vote said no or that they weren’t even registered. Some students with “I voted” stickers went out to their designated polling place this morning and voted, while others sent in absentee ballots to their hometown.

Sydney Bosway, a freshman from Union, said there’s important issues concerning this election and people should represent their beliefs by voting.

Cameron Jackson, a senior from Louisville, agreed voting rights should be exercised.

“You should vote because every vote matters and your voice will be heard,” Jackson said.

Some students, such as sophomore Will Harris, are returning to their hometown today just to make it to the polls.

“I’m about to head back to Glasgow to vote because practicing your civic right is always crucial,” Harris said.

Amy Wyer, a senior from Clarksville, Tennessee, went home to vote Tuesday because she said she thinks the midterm election is more important than the presidential election. She said these candidates that are getting elected to the House and Senate represent your specific district and make policies that affect your directly. She also emphasized how these legislators make voting laws that affect everyone.

“For example, there’s about 53,000 voters in Georgia who can’t vote due to new voter laws,” Wyer said. “We need to vote out people who try to limit those who can vote.”

Maddie Sennett, a sophomore from Louisville, cited the women’s suffrage movement as her motivation to vote.

“As a woman… in history, several women have died for our right to execute the right to vote,” Sennett said.

News reporter Natasha Breu can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow Natasha on Twitter @nnbreu.