Fraternity member brings firearm to float site

Emma Austin

WKU Police received reports on Thursday night of a student taking out a firearm at the Delta Tau Delta and Chi Omega float site during Homecoming preparations. 

According to the reports, a student made Chi Omega sorority members nervous while they were working on their float for the parade by making comments concerning firearms. He  then took out a firearm and laid it on a work table at the float location, according to the police report. 

The student did not make direct threats, “but the sorority was concerned and wanted the incident reported to WKU Police,” the report stated. He has not been charged.

Delta Tau Delta’s chapter at WKU began its recolonization this semester after it was suspended in 2014 because of poor operations. 

Director of chapter services for Delta Tau Delta Doug Russell said in an email that members of WKU’s Delta Tau Delta colony contacted the national office “to express concern about an issue that took place during its homecoming preparation.”

“In addition to reaching out to the Fraternity’s Central Office, colony leadership contacted its local advisory team and the university,” Russell said. “The Fraternity and the local advisory team are working with the colony to look into the incident.”

Russell declined to comment whether the student is still a member of the organization. He said a member of Delta Tau Delta’s central office traveled to Bowling Green last weekend, and an additional staff member is on campus now as part of an already scheduled visit.

“We look forward to continuing to support the colony as it re-establishes the Epsilon Xi Chapter,” Russell said.

WKU Director of Student Activities Charley Pride said the incident is being handled by the Office of Student Conduct, which declined to comment.  

Crime reporter Spencer Harsh contributed reporting.

Emma Austin can be reached at 270-745-0655 and [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @emmacaustin.