WKU to host annual International Week of Education

Globe close-up

Emily Deletter

In a weeklong celebration of WKU’s history and connections with international education and global learning, the Office of International Programs will be hosting its annual International Education Week Nov. 3-9.

The Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning, the English as a Second Language International program and the Office of Scholar Development as well as classroom-based programs will feature a variety of international learning inspired programs. From a story slam to several dialogue series, students have the opportunity to discover more about international education at WKU.

“In big picture terms, it’s so important to have students training to work in a competitive global workforce,” Office of International Programs Coordinator Lauren Reyes said. “[International Education Week] enriches their academia experience and enhances disciplines across the board.”

This is the second year the Office of International Programs has focused more specifically on the various classroom dialogues that will be taking place along the other scheduled programs during the week. Reyes said these dialogues are more meaningful for students when they pertain to topics that apply to majors or disciplines.

“Anything that fosters dialogue and gets students talking and researching information that pertains to international topics can open so many doors,” Reyes said.

The Office of Study Abroad and Global Learning will host the kickoff event Saturday with StorySLAM: Serendipity at Spencer’s Coffee. Any student who has studied abroad is invited to share a story “about their most serendipitous moments, whether big or small,” the website stated. Audience members will be able to vote for their favorite story, and the winner will receive a prize.

WKU’s English as a Second Language International program participates annually in International Education Week. This year they will be coordinating a few events in conjunction with the week in which students can visit different parts of campus to learn about a specific country or culture. Game nights, movie nights and discussions about different cultures will also take place during the week.

ESLI Assistant Director Valerie Phelps said this is the first year ESLI will host an International Education Conference which will take place Monday at Tate Page Hall. Phelps said it chose a conference to focus on the academic side of international studies.

Conference attendees will visit poster sessions, round table discussions, presentations and information tables showcasing a wide range of topics. There is no charge to attend the conference.  

“We wanted to showcase research and information done by international students and the research done about international studies,” Phelps said. “This will also give students the opportunity to be a part of a conference, which is an important part of their academic studies.”

Phelps said she believes International Education Week iscimportant for the international students she works with because it gives them an opportunity to learn more about the U.S. and the world around them.

“IEW [International Education Week] gives them a chance to go out and learn about this diverse America and add their diversity to it,” she said. “It is important for WKU students because going to this university means expanding your mind and your world, and IEW accomplishes this.”

Reporter Emily DeLetter can be reached at 270-745-6011 or [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @emilydeletter.