Sanford offers updates on Xavier Lane, Cole Spencer, D’Andre Ferby

Sophomore wide receiver Xavier Lane (9) makes a run downfield after catching a pass during the spring football game on April 21.

Jeremy Chisenhall

Xavier Lane has been temporarily removed from WKU football’s roster, head coach Mike Sanford confirmed Monday.

“Xavier Lane has been temporarily removed from the roster, but still apart of this program going forward, to just sort through some stuff that we have outlined for Xavier,” Sanford said. “There is a chance for return.”

The redshirt sophomore wide receiver appeared in five games this season, recording seven catches and 55 total yards. He recorded four catches for 40 yards in the Hilltoppers’ loss to then-fourth ranked Wisconsin. He did not play in WKU’s losses to Marshall or Old Dominion.

Lane emerged as a receiving threat in his redshirt freshman season, catching 27 passes for 336 yards.

Sanford also confirmed sophomore offensive lineman Cole Spencer is out for the season after suffering a lower-body injury earlier this year.

Sanford also said that redshirt senior running back D’Andre Ferby is healthy to play this week.

“Will he go out there and play 80 snaps? That wouldn’t be fair to him, wouldn’t be fair to any part of coming back,” Sanford said of Ferby. “Just proud of him, his rehab process and how much he attacked it. He looks great, he wants to play. He’s got a look in his eyes of a guy that wants to go make an impact and win a football game.”

The Hilltoppers are set to take on Florida International at 6:30 p.m. in Houchens-Smith Stadium Saturday. 

Sports Editor Jeremy Chisenhall can be reached at 270-745-6291and [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @JSChisenhall.