Jenkins pleased with cross country teams after Louisville meet

Sports graphic

Cameron Coyle

WKU cross country ran its first in-state race of the season at the Louisville Cross Country Classic over the weekend.

The WKU men’s team finished 38th out of 45 teams while the Lady Toppers finished 31st out of 36 teams.

Head coach Erik Jenkins was happy with both teams’ performances and called both races a “good stepping stone for winning a conference championship” in the future.

The Lady Toppers were led by Haley Webb, a sophomore transfer from Murray State, who finished with a 5K time of 20 minutes, 1.8 seconds in her debut for WKU, coming in 116th out of 287 racers.

Sophomore Morgan Kannapel came in 118th with a season-best time of 21:22.3. Junior Brianna Wolken and sophomore Aairiona Hayden-Ransom also both completed the race with season-best times.

The men’s team—made up of five freshmen—was led by Emerson Wells who finished 67th out of 409 competitors with an 8K time of 26:08.6.

Matthew Wininger came in 190th after clocking a 27:17.0 and Luke Hoover finished 239th after running a 27:48.8.

“We want to continue to get stronger and get more fit,” Jenkins said ahead of the Hilltoppers’ next race.

Both cross country teams will travel to Evansville, Indiana, to compete in the Evansville Invitational on Oct. 13.

Reporter Cameron Coyle can be reached at 270-745-6291 or [email protected].