SGA approves multiple organizational aid bills

The SGA meets on Feb. 27 in the SGA chambers in Downing Student Union. They discussed the recent budget cuts and ideas on what that would consist of in the future as well as the dining contract with Aramark.

Jack Dobbs

SGA voted to approve four bills that provide organizational aid to three upcoming campus events.

The first bill, Bill 14-18-F, was presented in the Tuesday, Oct. 30, meeting by Organizational Aid Chair and Administrative Vice President Harper Anderson. The bill called for an allocation of $500 to WKU Women in Science and Engineering, a group that pushes for increased enrollment of women in STEM fields, according to the W.I.S.E. website.

The bill also called for an allocation of the precise sum of $496.66 to the PE majors club. The funding will allow the club to attend a conference held in Lexington, according to the SGA meeting agenda. The bill was passed by a wide 32-1 vote.

Bill 14-18-F called for $500 to be awarded to the Student Affairs Graduate Association. According to the bill’s description, this would allow SAGA to attend a conference in Louisville.

Bill 16-18-F was also passed, which requested the funding of $500 to WKU’s Habitat for Humanity. This will allow for a trip during winter break to Oklahoma City to build houses, according to the bill’s description.

Bill 16-18-F called for the funding of $280 to Omega Psi Phi’s annual scholarship pageant as well as $250 to fund Delta Sigma Pi’s LEAD Conference registration costs. Bill 16-18-F was passed by a 30-2 vote.

The funding will allow for a scholarship opportunity for two students to attend a SAGA conference in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

The Senate also passed Bill 15-18-F, which called for $150 to go toward catering from Subway for the Campus Safety Walk which will be held on Nov. 14, according to the bill’s description.

Bill 17-18-F was authored by Sustainability Committee Chair Jayden Thomas and called for $100 in funding. The funding will go toward a basket for Sustainability Day on Nov. 14. SGA will sponsor the basket along with the SGA Sustainability Committee, according to the bill’s description.

Bill 17-18-F was passed by a 32-1 vote.

Outside of organizational aid legislation, SGA also passed Resolution 6-18-F. This resolution supports allowing part-time faculty members to be advisors for registered student organizations.

As of now, only full-time faculty members can be advisors to a student club or organization, according to the resolution’s description. This resolution was also authored by Thomas.

SGA meets every Tuesday at 5 p.m. in the Senate chambers of Downing Student Union. There will be no meeting next Tuesday, Nov. 6.

Reporter Jack Dobbs can be reached at 270-745-0655 and [email protected].