WKU cross country teams compete in second meet of the season

Sports graphic

Cameron Coyle

WKU’s cross country teams ran their second race Saturday at the Golden Eagle Invite hosted by Tennessee Tech.

The Lady Hilltoppers finished runner-up in their three-team field, while the men’s team finished third out of four teams.

Head coach Erik Jenkins saw improvement in both teams and was pleased with their performances.

“I think they’re starting to really understand how to race at this level,” Jenkins said.

Jenkins also said he thought both teams improved on running as a pack, which was something that was a point of emphasis for this race.

Freshman Heather Whitlow once again led the Toppers, finishing fourth out of 18 runners with a 5K time of 21 minutes, 58.2 seconds. Sophomore Morgan Kannapel finished sixth with a time of 22:49.2, while junior Brianna Wolken came in seventh after clocking in at 23:15.1.

Sophomore Aairiona Hayden-Ransom placed 10th after running a 25:54.5. Freshman Abby Luce rounded out the squad with a time of 26:13.2.

The Hilltoppers—all five freshmen—were led again by Matthew Wininger who finished 14th out of the field of 24 after running a 22:28.4. Emerson Wells finished behind him at 15th with a time of 22:38.6. Dedrick Troxell came in 17th after a 22:54.4.

Luke Hoover finished 18th with a 23:09.8, while Michael Sherman rounded out the squad after running a 23:12.6.

WKU will head back to Tennessee for their next race on Sept. 15 for the Vanderbilt Invitational.

Reporter Cameron Coyle can be reached at 270-745-6291 or [email protected].