Former WKU Professional Studies professor dies at 69

Freda Mays, 69, died at home on June 3, 2018. Mays was a former WKU faculty and staff member until her retirement in May 2018. She served the university for 41 years.

Nicole Ziege

Freda Mays, former associate professor in the WKU professional studies department, died in her home on June 3, 2018.

Mays, 69, retired from WKU in May 2018 after serving for 41 years at the university. She worked as faculty and staff at the university, according to an email sent to all faculty and staff by Shirley Jones, administrative assistant and budget coordinator in the WKU nursing department.

Jones was a former student of Mays. She emailed the faculty and staff about Mays’ death on June 11.

“I can say with certainty that Freda was an excellent teacher and a very kind person,” Jones said in the email. “She will be missed.”

According to Mays’ obituary, she was born on Oct. 3, 1948, and she leaves behind several cousins, her son, Kent Preston, and her dogs.

Mays’ funeral service was held at the J.C. Kirby and Son Lovers Lane Chapel, and her burial took place at the Macedonia Baptist Cemetery, both on Thursday, June 7.

“She was passionate about her role as a teacher and treasured each and every student,” according to her obituary. “She was a true dog lover and never met one that she didn’t want to take home to call her own.”

This is a developing story, so check back for updates.

Nicole Ziege can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow Nicole Ziege on Twitter at @NicoleZiege.