Second candidate for provost and vice president for Academic Affairs to visit WKU

Emma Collins

The second of three candidates for WKU’s new provost and vice president for academic affairs is scheduled to visit campus tomorrow.

Keith Hargrove currently serves as the dean of the College of Engineering at Tennessee State University in Nashville. He has held the position since June 2009, according to his curriculum vitae. He is also the director of the TSU Interdisciplinary Graduate Engineering Research Institute, which he also founded.

Hargrove’s past positions include associate professor at the Morgan State University Clarence Mitchell Jr. School of Engineering in Baltimore, Maryland, from 2002-2009; adjunct professor at Harford Community College in Harford, Maryland, from 2007-2009; and assistant professor, associate professor and assistant to the dean at the College of Engineering, Architecture and Physical Sciences at Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Alabama, from 1993-2002.

Hargrove received his bachelor’s in mechanical engineering from TSU in 1985, according to his CV. He received his master’s in engineering from Missouri University of Science and Technology in 1987 and his doctorate in industrial and manufacturing engineering from University of Iowa in 1993. He is currently working on his Master of Business Administration and is expected to complete it in July of this year. His CV does not include information about where that degree will come from.

Hargrove is scheduled to meet with members of the search committee for the new provost, the Academic Affairs executive team, Office of the Provost staff, President Timothy Caboni, the president’s cabinet, the Council of Academic Deans, the Board of Regents, the University Senate and the Student Government Association, according to his itinerary. He will also attend an open forum in Grise Hall room 235 from 1 to 2 p.m.

A candidate evaluation form can be found on the Academic Affairs webpage along with Hargrove’s CV and itinerary.

Hargrove is the second of three candidates scheduled to visit campus this week. Jeffery Osgood, senior vice provost at West Chester University in Pennsylvania, visited campus on Monday. The final candidate is scheduled to visit Thursday, April 19 and will also participate in an open forum.

Video of all three open forums will be available on the Academic Affairs webpage on Friday after all on-campus visits have concluded. The candidate information for the third finalist will be released 24 hours before the individual’s visit to campus, according to the Academic Affairs webpage.

The candidate selected for the position will replace current Provost David Lee who has served as provost since August 2015. Lee will become WKU’s first university historian following the appointment of the new provost.

News editor Emma Collins can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow Emma on Twitter at @_mccain_emma_.