Former WKU fraternity Delta Tau Delta to recharter

Louisville senior Troy Davis and Louisville freshman Hunter Heath celebrate after Delta Tau Delta wins Tug on April 29, 2013, at the WKU Ag Farm.

Spencer Harsh

After being gone from WKU’s campus for nearly four years, a fraternity chapter will be rechartering this next fall.

Doug Russell, 30, director of chapter services for Delta Tau Delta’s central office, said WKU had a Delta Tau Delta chapter, but it’s charter was suspended due to low numbers in 2014. He said the new chapter will begin it’s colony process in the first few weeks of the fall 2018 semester.

Russell, who is also an alumnus from WKU, said he is excited to see Delta Tau Delta make it’s return to WKU. He said when he graduated from WKU, he thought his chapter was hard-working and known for being involved in the Greek community.

“I’m excited to restore this group because it can make an impact on the campus and Bowling Green,” Russell said.

Andrew Rash, coordinator for student activities, said he is excited for Delta Tau Delta to come back to WKU.

“One of the great things about bringing in a new group is they may recruit people who were uninterested in Greek life,” Rash said.

Rash said there is an arduous process for Delta Tau Delta with recruitment, but he thinks Delta Tau Delta is well-equipped to reestablish itself.

“They’re going to have to put themselves in front of a lot of people,” Rash said.

According to Delta Tau Delta’s official website, it was founded at Bethany College in West Virginia in 1858. Since its founding, the fraternity has been on nearly 200 campuses with almost 170,000 members, according to the website.

Russell said he is excited to recruit men who are “academically inclined, philanthropic and looking for leadership opportunities.”

Copy desk chief Spencer Harsh can be reached at [email protected].