Two-day celebration planned for spring commencement

Graduates wave their red towels near the end of the Potter College of Arts & Letters and University College commencement ceremony Saturday at Diddle Arena.

Herald Staff

WKU will be changing things up for this semester’s commencement festivities. 

According to a press release, this semester’s commencement will start with a university-wide outdoor ceremony at 6 p.m. on May 11 with graduation ceremonies beginning the next day on May 12.

“We want the spring commencement to be more of a celebration and be more centered and focused on the students,” University Registrar Tiffany Robinson said in the press release. 

The May 11 ceremony will be in Houchens-Smith Stadium followed by the Big Red Bash on South Lawn. President Timothy Caboni and SGA President Andi Dahmer will speak at the ceremony. 

The ceremony will also include the commissioning of ROTC cadets, the recognition of the Odgen Foundation Scholar and recognition of the John D. Minton Award recipient. 

Robinson said Big Red Bash will be “an all-out celebration” that incorporates the WKU Alumni Association’s Commencement Celebration and will include tents for each college, food, music, a photo booth and more.

Graduation ceremonies on May 12 will be at E.A. Diddle Arena. These are the times:

• College of Health and Human Services at 8 a.m.
  • University College at 10 a.m.
  • Ogden College of Science and Engineering at noon
  • College of Education and Behavioral Sciences at 2 p.m.
  • Potter College of Arts and Letters at 4 p.m.
  • Gordon Ford College of Business at 6 p.m.

Robinson said she anticipates the graduation ceremonies will “last no more than 75 minutes, will include the individual recognition of graduates, graduates shaking the president’s hand, in addition to other special touches the college includes in the ceremony.”

“Feedback from college deans has been positive,” she said in the press release. “I think they’re excited about the opportunity to really personalize a ceremony and have that individual time with their students. I think the students and parents will both appreciate the special touches each Dean incorporates to make the ceremony memorable for the graduates.”