Alpha Kappa Alpha hosts painting event to help relieve stress

Sophomore Soraya Hocker puts the finishing touches on her Mason jar before setting it aside to dry.

Katelyn Latture

Glass clinked against glass. Brushes dipped into paint. People chatted about their semesters. These were just a few of the sights and sounds at the Prosper with Paint Party on the evening of Monday, Jan.29.

Students gathered Downing Student Union’s Nite Class to take part in the event hosted by the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority. The event’s main purposes were to provide students with creative organization opportunities heading into the new semester and to promote an avenue to relieve stress.

“One of AKA’s initiatives is promoting mental health awareness and well-being,” said AKA President Patrice Thomas. “Our new members wanted to host a completely new event for this initiative, and they really wanted to paint.”

At the party, participants painted and decorated glass Mason jars. Once finished with a jar, participants were given motivational, positive quotes with which they could fill the jar. Throughout the semester, the quotes can be pulled out of the jar to brighten one’s day.

“I would definitely do this again,” said Chicago senior Zhane Allen. “Mental health awareness is important, especially for college students because they deal with so much stress.”

For those who might have missed the event, AKA is considering hosting this event again at the beginning of next semester.

News reporter Katelyn Latture can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected].