Chick-fil-A will open late due to renovations

Students await the re-opening of Chick-fil-a in Downing Student Union on Sunday, January 21. In an effort to reduce customers’ wait time more registers are being added.

The Chick-fil-A located in the Downing Student Union Food Court remained closed when classes started Jan. 22 because of ongoing renovations.

“The renovations include the addition of more cash registers and more cooking equipment,” Steve Hoyng, resident district manager for Aramark, said.

“The changes were initiated to provide a better dining experience to our guests,” Hoyng said in an email.

Hoyng said the renovations started Dec. 16 and will be finished soon, although he didn’t give a specific date. He said the renovations were part of the new contract to update venues.

Louisville sophomore Tristan Dunlap said he thought the additional registers will help decrease the wait time when standing in line for Chick-fil-A.

“The line is extraordinarily long,” Dunlap said. “Sometimes it stretches out to the couches.”

Dunlap said he thought Chick-fil-A was “the most popular place on campus.” He said he eats in DSU almost every day, often at Chick-fil-A.

Louisville sophomore Katie Myers said she enjoys eating at Chick-fil-A but she sometimes chooses to eat at Papa John’s instead because the line for pizza is much shorter.

“I don’t even eat [at Chick-fil-A] all that often because the line is so long,” Myers said.

Chick-fil-A had two registers before the renovations began. Hoyng did not say how many registers would be added with the renovations.

The area around Chick-fil-A has been surrounded by sheets of plastic. Myers said she had not seen a sign in front of the area telling students why the restaurant is closed and wished there had been more of an explanation.

“I wish they had a note saying what’s going on and when it’s going to open,” Myers said.

The renovations delayed the opening of the DSU Food Court, according to an email from the WKU Restaurant Group to faculty and staff.Both Papa John’s and Steak ‘n Shake opened Jan. 20, two days after students were able to move back into residence halls. Fresh Food Company, Burrito Bowl and Starbucks were able to open as scheduled Jan. 18 when students returned to campus.

News reporter Emma Collins can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @_mccain_emma_.