Residents return to Alpha Xi Delta house following crash

Russell Kerr crashed into the front door of the Alpha Xi Delta sorority house around 12 a.m. on Friday Nov. 3.

Residents of the Alpha Xi Delta sorority house have moved back into the house after a drunk driver drove into the house shortly after 12:10 a.m. Friday, according to residents of the house.

Residents of the Alpha Xi Delta sorority house were able to move back into the house yesterday afternoon, Owensboro sophomore Sydney Schaad, a resident of the house, said.

Schaad said a crew worked all weekend to temporarily repair the front part of the house, and there is now a temporary front door that no one can get in or out of. Schaad said everyone living in the house is okay.

Franklin, Tennessee, senior Keaton Woodliff, the sorority’s chapter president, said all repairs should be completed by the end of the week.

Evansville, Indiana, sophomore Austin Fleck said he was standing on the porch of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity house around midnight on the night of the accident when he saw someone turn left on Cabell Drive and lose control of the vehicle. Fleck said he saw the vehicle drive over a curb and through some bushes before pushing a white car into the front door of the sorority house.

Fleck said the man tried to drive away after hitting the house, but he was stopped by a pizza delivery driver who pulled in behind him.

Fleck said he ran over to the house to see if the residents were okay. He said some girls were crying but no one, including the driver, appeared to be hurt. Fleck said the driver was arrested and quickly taken away from the scene.

“I didn’t really know how to respond except to run over there and see if everyone was okay,” Fleck said.

WKU Police Department Public Information Officer Tim Gray said Alvaton freshman Russell Kerr was arrested at the scene of the accident. He said Kerr was later charged with driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident.

According to the WKU Police Department crime reports, Kerr was arrested for an aggravated DUI, criminal mischief in the first degree, leaving the scene of an accident and possession of alcohol by a minor.

According to the Warren County Regional Jail, Kerr’s bond is set at $2,500 and a court date is set for Nov. 8.

St. Louis sophomore and Alpha Xi Delta sorority member Darby Poole said her car was totaled in the accident. Poole said the driver hit her car, pushing it through the front door and into the house.

Poole said she did not witness the incident, but she arrived at the scene when friends contacted her about her car.

Poole said none of the women who live in the house were injured.

“We’re just really glad no one was using the front door,” Poole said.

Poole added that construction on the Alpha Xi Delta house was completed this July.

Reporter Emma Collins can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Reporter Rebekah Alvey can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected].