Have a happy Hilloween: A guide and map to spooky events on campus and off

imagewesthalloweenflier

Halloween is Tuesday and every student know what that means – a weekend full of spooky, spectacular, spectral fun. Here are all the events taking place on campus and in the community this coming weekend and beyond.

Are you hosting an event that you would like to see listed here? Shoot us an email or social media message.

On campus

Halloween of Hope

Join Phi Sigma Pi on Centennial Mall Friday, Oct. 27th from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., as they raise awareness for Hope Harbor, Bowling Green’s local rape crisis center. Phi Sigma Pi is advertising “Games! Candy! Free cider and popcorn! Prizes!” in other words, everything that a pre-Halloween afternoon should be about.

Halloween Concert

The Third Annual Halloween Concert by The Symphony at WKU is taking place Friday, at 7:30 p.m. in the Van Meter Auditorium. The evening will include performances of “A Night on Bald Mountain” by Mussorgsky, Wagner’s “Overture to the Flying Dutchman”, “Mephisto Waltz No. 2” by Liszt, “The Sorcerer’s Apprentice” by Dukas, made famous by Disney’s “Fantasia and Berlioz’s “The Death of Cleopatra: Lyric Scene”, performed by WKU voice professor Liza Kelly. Tickets are $10 or $5 for WKU students and faculty and can be purchased in advance.

German Horror Film

Join German students for a screening of “Ich seh, Ich seh”, a German thriller. Tim Straubel, a German professor at WKU said his students “want to see how a German language thriller film is different from an American horror film.” The film will be shown with English subtitles. and so “it should be scary for everyone.” The screening is taking place on Monday, Oct. 30 in FAC 0256 at 7 PM.

Nightmare on Normal Street

The WKU Housing and Residence Life is hosting a block party on Monday, Oct. 30, from 7-10 p.m.. There will be “pumpking decorating, food & drinks, decorations, music & dancing!” As the name implied, the event is taking place on Normal Street, in the Honors College Multipurpose Room & Back Lawn.

Imagewest Halloween Party

Imagewest is hosting a costume contest outside of Downing Student Union on Tuesday, Oct. 31. The contest is open to everyone and will include prizes for the “funniest, scariest, cutest and best, along with crowd favorites.” In addition to the costume contest the event will also include corn hole, ring toss, fortune telling, candy and a photo booth. The contest will start at 1 p.m., but activities will continue until 4 p.m.

WellU Hallowellness

WellU is hosting a wellness event that is also Halloween-themed and features prizes. Stop by DSU 1037 and complete activities such as cornhole and knot-tying. There will be small prizes offered for completion of activities, and everyone who participates in entered into a drawing for a door prize. This event will also include WellU credit, which promises “condoms, free chair massages, and treats!” The event is taking place from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m..

Bowling Green and Elsewhere

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Come and see this cult classic at the Capitol Arts Theatre on Tuesday, Oct. 31. The film starts at 10 p.m. and lasts for two hours. Tickets are available at theskypac.com and cost $10. This price also includes prop bags while supplies last.

Haunted History Walking Tour – SOLD OUT

Unseen Bowling Green offers Haunted History Walking Tours of Downtown Bowling Green that “will disclose the dark and mysterious history rooted around our town.” The tours are 1.3 miles and include one staircase. Tickets cost $12 for adults, $5 for children and $10 for WKU students and cannot be purchased online because tours for this weekend have already completely sold out. We really only included this to torment you, and encourage you plan your schedule better next year.

An Evening with Poe

The Fountain Square Players present “An Evening of Poe.” Readings from Poe’s work will be ” brought to life in this haunting evening which will chill you to the bone”, which will also include refreshments. The event is taking place at the Houchens Center at 1115 Adams St on Oct. 28 at 7:30 p.m. or Oct. 29 at 3 p.m.. Tickets cost $10 and can be purchased online.

Art of the Macabre

Although is has been open since Oct. 1, this collection can only be properly appreciated in the appropriate setting of the scariest day of the year. This collection, featured at the Downing Museum, features work from over twenty local and regional artists. The museum page describes macabre as “the quality of having a grim or ghastly atmosphere.” The museum is closed on Sunday and Monday, but will be open Friday and Tuesday from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m., and Saturday from 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.. The Downing Museum is part of the Baker Arboretum and is located at 4801 Morgantown Road. For more information visit their website at www.wku.edu/downingmuseum.

Haunted Lantern Tours

Visit the Railway Museum after hours on Friday and Saturday to hear spooky stories about rail yard workers and see spectral characters come to life. Tours are from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.. Concessions will be offered by local kids hosting fundraisers. Tickets are $10 for adults, $6 for children and free for anyone under 2 years of age.

Halloween Campout

Nolin Lake State Park’s annual Halloween Campout is this Friday and Saturday at 2998 Brier Creek Rd in Mammoth Cave. Activities will include “costume contests for all ages, campsite decorating contest, [and] trick-or-treating.” Questions should be directed to David Kem at [email protected]

Haunted Escape Room

Conundrum Workshop is offering an escape room scenario featuring an absent ghost, a locked room and your useless friends. “Haunting! A seasonal escape game that is filled with Halloween fun and all new challenges!” is taking place every day for the rest of the month. Advance booking is recommended and can be done at conundrumworkshop.com.

Scarecrow Trail

Lost River Cave’s Scarecrow Trail is trailing into its final weekend and will close on Tuesday, Oct. 31. The scarecrows are built and submitted by community members, and a winner is chosen by popular vote. The trail is free to walk, and voting ballots can be cast at the gift shop. This exhibit is open 8:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m..

Haunted Library

The Allen County Library is anticipating a ghost invasion this Monday, Oct. 30 from 5 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Don a sheet and join them for “scary stories in the haunted woods, see what is bubblin’ in the witch’s cauldron and try and make it through the Noble Maze.” This event is free and open to children of all ages.

The event list was written by reporter Katie Daniels, who can be reached at [email protected] Follow her on Twitter at @authorkatielynn. She can also be summoned by turning the lights off and saying “Stranger Things is an overrated show” three times into a mirror.

The interactive map was made by reporter Chris DiMeo, who can be reached at [email protected], and found in between the second and third dimension.