WKU issues statement on DACA

Francisco Serrano, a WKU junior, leads a rally for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals amid recent questions on whether or not President Trump will continue the program. “Dreamers are our peers, our friends and people you’ve heard from today,” Serrano said. “I’d rather be someone who supports dreams than someone who shatters them.”

Mason Davis

Western Kentucky University has issued an official statement on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

DACA protects young undocumented immigrants in the United States from deportation and gives them a work permit, given they meet requirements for the program. The members of the program, referred to as “Dreamers,” are able to attend college in the United States.

WKU’s statement comes in response with President Trump’s recent order to end DACA. The program will be suspended in six months. Congress has been tasked with replacing the program with legislation.

WKU’s response states they will abide by the federal and state regulations, but cites this to include the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. FERPA protects the privacy of student records, and extends to students who may be affected by the disbanding of DACA.

Students, faculty and staff at WKU have previously held and attended rallies in support of DACA. There is a march going on Tuesday afternoon, which will go from the top of Cherry Hall to Senator Rand Paul’s office, according to a Facebook event post.

WKU’s statement said the school plans to “work proactively with members of our Congressional delegation as they work to resolve this important issue.”

“Our priority continues to be supporting our students regardless of nationality, religion, ethnicity, and other aspects of our diverse community,” the document also states.