Five-Star recruit Mitchell Robinson no longer on WKU’s campus

Chalmette High School Senior Mitchell Robinson (23) attempts to score a basket in a game against Ballard High School on Sat. Feb. 11, 2017 at Bowling Green High School. The 7 foot 5-star recruit signed to WKU on Nov. 15, 2016. 

Evan Heichelbech

Five-star WKU basketball recruit Mitchell Robinson is no longer on WKU’s campus, a source told the Herald.

Robinson, a 7-foot forward/center, left campus as soon as yesterday after being in Bowling Green for the past two weeks working out during WKU’s summer session.

Robinson’s dorm room and locker were completely cleared out, according to the source.

It is unclear if he plans to return and be a part of WKU’s team this fall or not.

Robinson signed his national letter of intent to play at WKU on Nov. 15, 2016. Unless the school releases him from the NLI, Robinson cannot play anywhere else on the collegiate level this season. 

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman later reported that Robinson had indeed left campus but said the situation was “still fluid” in a tweet, and Scout.com’s Evan Daniels reported that Robinson is expected to transfer from WKU if he gets out of his letter of intent.

A source told CBS Sports’ Gary Parrish that the best professional option for Robinson would be to play overseas but it is still unclear what his plans are. 

It was announced last month that WKU assistant coach Shammond Williams would not be returning to head coach Rick Stansbury’s staff this fall. Williams is Robinson’s godfather and was a major factor in Robinson’s decision to attend WKU.

On November 27, 2016, a tweet was made from Robinson’s account claiming that he was de-committing from WKU. The tweet was quickly deleted and he later said his account was hacked.

“After careful consideration, I have decided to DECOMMIT from the University of Western Kentucky and explore my options this only happens once,” the tweet said. 

Robinson originally verbally committed to WKU in the summer of 2016.

A McDonald’s All-American, he is the highest rated recruit in WKU basketball history.

The Herald will update this story as more information is made available.

EDITOR’S NOTE: This story was updated at 2:45 p.m.