Board of Regents to hold annual retreat Thursday

Rebekah Alvey

WKU’s Board of Regents will discuss an overall strategic plan during its annual retreat Thursday at the Knicely Conference Center.

There will also be a keynote presentation by James Lang, Director of the Center for Teaching Excellence and professor of English at Assumption College. The Board also plans to discuss retention and graduation.

Following the retreat on Friday morning, the Board of Regents will hold the third quarterly meeting in the Martin Regents Room. 

According to the released agenda, Timothy C. Caboni will be sworn in as the 10th president of the university and newly appointed regent George Nichols III will take his oath of office to begin the meeting. Phillip W. Bale will be installed as chair of the Board of Regents, Gillard B. Johnson III will be installed as vice chair and Frederick A. Higdon will be installed as secretary.

On the agenda in Academic Affairs, the board will vote to approve several graduate and undergraduate certificates and minors which were discussed in committees following a Special Budget Approval meeting in June.

The action items include approval of:

·         Graduate certificates in Economic Data Analytics and Addiction Education.

·         Undergraduate minor in Computer Animation.

·         Undergraduate certificates in Health Informatics and Public Health.

·         Undergraduate minor and certificate in Environmental Health and Health Education and Health Promotion.

·         Name change from Department of Family and Consumer Sciences to Department of Applied Human Sciences.

·         Dr. Albert Meier for University Distinguished Professor.

·         Emeritus status for Melvin Borland, Frank Kersting, Jacqueline Pope-Tarrence, Richard A. Roberts and Richard Weigel.

Brian Meredith will also present the Enrollment Report to the board.

For the Finance and Budget portion of the agenda, the board will vote to approve matters discussed in a committee meeting following a Special Budget Approval meeting in June.

These matters include approval of:

·         The 2017-2018 audit plan.

·         Faculty and staff personnel actions.

·         Filing the 2016-17 third quarter statement of revenues and expenditures.

There will be foundation reports from Donald Smith from the College Heights Foundation and Paula Jarboe from the WKU Foundation.

Bale will make 2017-18 board committee appointments and set the 2018 meeting schedule during the session.

Reporter Rebekah Alvey can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected].