Fundraising event to open doors on Greek life

Panhellenic Council will be hosting Homearama. An event were greeks and nongreeks alike can come together and take a tour inside the sorority and fraternity houses such as Kappa Delta and Phi Mu. 

Rebekah Alvey

Today, WKU sororities and fraternities will be opening their houses to the public as a joint philanthropy project.

The WKU Greek Homearama includes tours of different Greek houses from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m.and is open to WKU students and Bowling Green community members.

The event was initiated by junior Amy Teta, who serves on the WKU Panhellenic Council as the Circle of Sisterhood campus chair.

Teta said they have never heard of anything like the Homearama. She explained it’s unique because there is not a lot of access to the Greek houses for non-Greek students.

“It’s for the WKU senior or someone in the community who has never been involved in Greek life but was always curious,” Teta said.

Senior Alivia Faris said there is a disconnect between Greek and non-Greek, but this can bring the two groups together.

Before or at the event attendees can purchase a $5 wristband providing access to all of the houses or a $1 bracelet giving access into one outside the Alpha Delta Pi house. Teta said that inside, members would be hosting tours and some will provide refreshments.

Faris said other members of her sorority have spent time cleaning and preparing the house for the event while also staying involved and up to date on the event by selling the wristbands.

The funds from the Homearama will be going towards the Circle of Sisterhood, which is a national non-profit group. The organization was founded by a WKU Alpha Xi Delta alumni, Ginny Carroll.

Teta said the purpose of the organization is to remove barriers to women’s education around the world by donating school supplies and materials to those who need it.

The organization also has a grant program to sponsor the construction of a school in a third-world country. Teta said this is a long-term goal for WKU’s Greek life.

Faris said women on WKU’s campus, Greek or not Greek, sometimes fail to recognize how fortunate they are to have accessibility to education and even knowing how to read. She said in other countries they are not so fortunate.

“We have it easy,” Faris said.

Faris said she is excited about the plan to build a school and thinks bigger projects like Homearama will help.

Teta said in the past they have had smaller fundraisers, but this is the first big philanthropy project that unites all the sororities.

“Our Greek unity is something WKU should be proud of,” Faris said.

Faris said the Greek organizations are values-based and work to strengthen the community, and events like this reflect that.

Already, they have sold over 120 wristbands and received sponsorships from groups in the community.

Teta said she is excited about the progress so far and hopes the momentum and foundation she laid will carry over into the years ahead.

Reporter Rebekah Alvey can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected].