Unexpected weather surprises students

Rebekah Alvey

Chacos, short sleeves, open windows, shorts and Enos are not typically associated with the winter season, yet campus has been filled with these warm trends for several days.

The return from winter break has been characterized with warm weather. In congruence with typical Kentucky weather, the temperature has also been fluctuating.

Some students and faculty have been excited about the chance for an early spring, however there are also questions about what it means.

Some people have attributed the drastic temperature changes to both global warming and standard Kentucky weather. Senior Isaac Bowers, a meteorology major, explained it relates more to climate than weather.

Bowers said the past couple of winters have been a sharp contrast to today’s climate, featuring record snowfall for Bowling Green; still, this trend of warm winters isn’t new as there have been similar seasons in years past.

Bowers attributed the changes to teleconnections, a term referring to to a recurring, large-scale pattern of pressure and circulation anomalies that spans vast geographical areas between weather, according to the National Weather Service.

Teleconnections play a role in temperature, rainfall and storm tracks in large scale areas, according to the National Weather Service. Bowers said these teleconnections oscillate every six months.

It is hard for meteorologists to forecast the climate for the spring and summer. Bowers said they can only forecast about three months ahead, but it is not always accurate.

Bowers said they work with a combination of historical data to predict the weather but also data too far ahead in the future to be completely accurate.

Bowers said the climate has changed, and the recent weather makes him wonder about the effects of climate change.

Some students around campus expressed mixed opinions about the early spring.

“I don’t mind the weather, and I’ll take spring over winter any day, but I know it’s not the healthiest thing for the Earth,” sophomore Evan Kessler said.

Climate change is a real concern to some students. Senior Rose Damron said she’s interested in the environment and believes that global warming is having an effect.

“I know this is not normal and it’s a little concerning,” Damron said.

Already on campus, students have spent more time outside, both studying and doing outdoor activities.

“I really like snow and when something interesting happens,

Damron said she has spent more time running outside and walking her dog.

Junior Evelyn Tichenor said she has spent time just being outside and enjoying nature and the warm weather.

Reporter Rebekah Alvey can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected].