Alumni Association appoints new Board of Directors

Emily DeLetter

The Western Kentucky University Alumni Association has selected a new member to serve on its National Board of Directors. Joe Morel was one of 33 nominees considered to fill the recently vacated position.

A 2002 graduate from WKU, Morel is a senior mortgage lender with Franklin Bank and Trust Company and currently resides in Bowling Green with his wife and two children.

Morel, a lifetime member of the WKU alumni association, said he was humbled and honored when he heard the news.

“I believe my experience will help create a smooth transition, but I’m grateful for their confidence in my abilities,” Morel said.

Morel was active during his time as an undergraduate at WKU, involved with his fraternity, student government, the campus activities board, and worked as a Spirit Master. As an alumnus, he continued to contribute his time as chairman with the Alumni Association working on the Homecoming parade, on the chapter advisory board of his fraternity and sitting on committees with student activities.

The WKU Alumni Association provides alumni relations to over 106,000 graduated Hilltoppers through digital, print, in-person and regional services with the purpose of engaging alumni.

Anthony McAdoo, executive director of the WKU Alumni Association said that Morel was the perfect candidate.

“Based on his prior involvement with the Alumni Association, homecoming and his fraternity, the board believed that [Morel] was the best candidate to fill the vacated position,” McAdoo said.

There are a total of 30 members on the national board, including 27 elected officers and three officers. Nine new members are selected each year, and serve for two years.

Morel will be filling a vacated term—meaning the person who previously held his seat was unable to fulfill their duties as a member of the board.

“There are great leaders already on board,” Morel said. “I want observe and find the best way to use my time and talents.”

Morel also said he was eager to begin duties on the board, more specifically dealing with the transition of Tim Caboni as the next president of WKU. Morel said Caboni is looking to have a more involved relationship with the Alumni Association. Members of the board will act as ambassadors, helping with alumni relations.

“It’s an exciting time to be a member of the board,” he said. “Caboni wants to help the university with alumni engagement, not only around south-central Kentucky, but around the rest of Kentucky and the world,” he said.

Morel’s term will begin this summer and will last until June 2019.

Reporter Emily DeLetter can be reached at (270)745-0655 and [email protected].