Ride to Vote service starts off first year slow

Elizabethtown junior Remington Grenier gets into Olive Hill junior Ty Knipp’s car after voting on Tuesday, Nov. 8 at W.R. McNeill Elementary. Knipp volunteered to drive students for Ride To Vote, a free shuttle service for students to their polling place.

Monica Kast

Olive Hill junior Tyberius Knipp provided rides to polling stations on Election Day as part of SGA’s partnership with Ride to Vote.

Knipp said he heard about the program from his sister, Alexandria Knipp, the program coordinator, and volunteered to drive. He was stationed in Centennial Mall with several other volunteers, asking students if they needed rides to the polls.

“We haven’t seen as many people as we thought we would,” Ty Knipp said. “But, it’s just the first year.”

Elizabethtown junior Remington Grenier was driven by Knipp to the W.R. McNiell Elementary school to vote.

“I had no idea it was so close,” Grenier said of the school when they pulled into the parking lot. “I guess I could have walked.”

Knipp waited in the parking lot while Grenier voted, then drove her back to campus. While discussion of politics and the election was strictly prohibited by the Ride to Vote regulations, the two did discuss the importance of voting.

“Most people totally would vote, but they’re registered at home,” Knipp said on the drive over.

“I thought more people would utilize this service,” Grenier said of Ride to Vote. “Every vote counts.”

Reporter Monica Kast can be reached at 270-745-6011 or [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @monicakastwku.

READ MORE:

WKU retiree says students need to vote today

Married couple says they’re voting for Pence

Polls open, voters plan to change America

President Ransdell casts vote at Big Red precinct

COMMENTARY: A quick history of alcohol on Election Day

Students offer fellow Hilltoppers rides to polls

Ballot judge supports Trump, hopes people continue to vote

Married couple continues to cast vote for Democratic candidates

Students experience polling location confusion

Bowling Green resident hopes vote will have an impact

Resident hopes for peace after election

Woman says she has learned to appreciate voting

Polling location worker shares thoughts on today’s election

New Bowling Green resident shares voting excitement