Fun, remembrance at Major Redz talent show

Harrison Hill

Hundreds of WKU students gathered late Wednesday evening in the Downing Student Union auditorium to watch the second annual Major Redz “Major Madness” Talent Show.

Twelve students performed a multitude of acts, including spoken word, slam poetry, dancing and much more.

Major Redz Co-Captain and Evansville senior Jessica Jackson said she has been a part of the dance group for three years and is one of 11 Major Redz currently on the team. 

“I joined the Major Redz because it was something new for me,” Jackson said.

The talent show is one of the few major events the Major Redz put on during the school year.

“It’s a chill environment away from everything that’s going on,” Jackson said.

On Saturday, Sept. 24 the Major Redz and many other students protested at the football game against Vanderbilt by kneeling during the national anthem. After the initial protest, the group moved to a section closer to the away team’s section for security reasons.

After the events of the past couple weeks, Jackson said she was glad the Major Redz could enjoy something fun with their teammates and community.

Although the show didn’t focus on the protest, the subject of events involving race on a national and local level came up. One of the performers, Durwan Green, tailored his show to respond to the current controversy between Black Lives Matter and law enforcement.

“I feel like it’s perfect because I am trying to accomplish the same goal that the Major Redz had during the game,” Green said

Green was the runner-up for the Major Redz talent show last year and won the Omega Psi Phi Talent show last fall. Green performed a spoken word titled, “Dear America.”

“I am very excited to watch the talent show,” sophomore Jada Jefferson said. “Being a theatre major, this is right up my alley.”

The show opened with a performance from the Major Redz, who performed a total of three times throughout the evening.

Each performance was around three minutes long and mostly positive feedback came from the audience in response to the performances.

“It was a tough crowd,” Gaines Brown, graduate assistant and one of the talent show judges, said. “I did not think it would be like this.”

After the last performers had left the stage, the hosts called for audience members to dance and party while the judges finished with their voting. The DJ turned the music up, and dozens of audience members danced for a few minutes.

After deliberation, the hosts gave out the final award to Durwan Green for his slam poetry performance.

Harrison Hill can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected].