Man dies during Gatton Academy visit

Kylie Carlson

A male guest at Gatton Academy died Wednesday following a heart attack while visiting campus, according to the Warren County Coroner’s Office.

Gustaf Swanson, Owensboro, suffered a heart attack while at the academy and was rushed to The Medical Center at Bowling Green where he was pronounced dead at 12:47 p.m., according to a coroner’s report.

It is not known at this time why Swanson was visiting campus, but an email was sent by Lynette Breedlove, director of The Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science, to Gatton students and parents after the incident telling students not to be alarmed by sirens and to use respect and discretion on social media.

“Today an adult guest of The Center for Gifted Studies and The Gatton Academy required emergency medical treatment,” Breedlove said in an email. “We send our thoughts and prayers to our guest and our guest’s family.”

Director of Media Relations Bob Skipper said that there was no additional information at this time, but did confirm Swanson was ill on campus.

“We are saddened that a visitor to our campus fell ill and every effort was made to help him by staff and WKU Police,” Skipper said.

Reporter Kylie Carlson can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow her on twitter @kentuckylie.