SGA discusses sexual assault on campus

Brandon Killian

The Student Government Association primarily discussed sexual assault and dealing with forms of sexual harassment and misconduct at WKU at their meeting Tuesday.

Melanie Evans, the coordinator for sexual assault services and student conduct, came to the meeting as a guest speaker. Evans spoke about Title IX and the roles people play in dealing with sexual assault.

Evans said WKU provides services to anyone in any circumstance no matter who they are or when it happened.

Evans said her role was to reach out to the victim when assistance is asked for and she works to investigate their problem and find a solution.

Students can report hazing, sexual assault, harassment, stalking or anything that has made them feel uncomfortable to the Office of Student Conduct in Potter Hall room 425.

“We want to have a harmonious environment on our campus,” Evans said in her address to the SGA.

Consent was also a major theme in her presentation. Students were advised to ask for clear permission and watch for nonverbal signs when performing sexual acts. If someone does not say no, it does not mean they consent.

Students are also encouraged to not be a bystander and to intervene if they see a situation that looks like consent is not being given.

Evans said students can call 270-745-5429 or email [email protected]. Students can also contact the police or talk to any faculty or staff member on campus.

A report can also be filed by going to wku.edu/sga and clicking on their new “Report It” button toward the bottom of their page.

SGA President Jay Todd Richey also talked about “ending rape culture.”

Richey is looking to create a new SGA committee focused on helping WKU students to “end sexual violence, end suicide, and self harm, and expand health resources.”

Richey also talked about two special events coming up.

“Home Away From Home” will be Thursday from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. It is free, but donations are encouraged.

There will be a Black Lives Matter Vigil Thursday from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Warren County Justice Center.

SGA will be helping WKU students with voter registration. They will be showing students how to register online, fill out absentee ballots and change their residence to Warren County.

Bill 7-16-F for Funding for the International Diplomats Event “Home Away From Home” was approved. SGA will be allocating $250 to International Enrollment Management for their event on Thursday, Sept. 29.

Reporter Brandon Killian can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected].