SGA hears PS3 details, accepts new senators

Elisabeth Moore

The Student Government Association held its first meeting of the semester on Tuesday where guest Bryan Russell, WKU chief facilities officer, spoke about the implementation of Parking Structure 3, to be built in the current Creason Parking Lot.

Russell said the construction is projected to start in September and end in August 2017. The structure will create additional parking spots for parking pass holders said to be more efficient than the standing paved lot.

“This will give an additional 500 spaces to campus,” Russell said. “There will be a total of about 619 spaces in total, but that is going to give us over 500 new parking spaces.”

The SGA swore in officers and senators that were appointed at the end of spring 2016.

In the SGA president report, Jay Todd Richey explained what he felt were the pros and cons of the Medical Center Project that will allow WKU and the University of Kentucky to work in a Medical Program Partnership.

The project will require termination of health services with the Graves Gilbert Clinic two and a half years before the current contract ends, but it will create a new location for the department of physical therapy.

Richey said SGA office workers will now be paid $10.10 an hour, which will encourage students to apply for the job.

“SGA is making a stand and saying that students deserve this wage,” Richey said.

In student speakers, Brendan Ward spoke about scholarships for those on campus with disabilities. Nick Conrad said the WKU e-sports team is advocating to President Gary Ransdell for a dedicated e-sports area on campus.

Under new business, SGA will discuss three new bills, one resolution and the SGA Budget during the next meeting.

At last Friday’s meeting between Ransdell, Provost David Lee and the academic department heads, Ransdell mentioned e-sports teams could be used as an academic recruiting tool if developed in the future.

Bill 1-16-F, Bill to Renew the MyCampusToo Initiative, will discuss renewing the MyCampusToo diversity enhancement initiative.

Resolution 2-15-F, Bill to Renew the Sustainability Committee, will discuss renewing the Sustainability Committee.

Bill 3-16-F, Bill to Financially Support and Partner with WKU Student Legal Services, will discuss the SGA of WKU to financially support and partner with the WKU Student Legal Services.

Bill 4-16-F, Bill to support the Creation of Scholarships of Students with Disabilities, will discuss the SGA supporting students with disabilities through scholarships.

Reporter Elisabeth Moore can be reached at 270-745-6288 and [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @emoore938.