WKU ground and service employment to be privatized

Herald Staff

WKU custodial, building services, landscape and waste management employees working on the Bowling Green campus will no longer be employed by the university effective this August.

On Wednesday, employees were informed that their employment with the university would end in July and that a private employment management service, Sodexo, would be taking over as their employer.

A statement from Bryan Russell, Chief Facilities Officer, and Brian Kuster, Vice President for Student Affairs, sent to employees said that this decision is linked to issues the university faces after budget cuts.

“This very difficult decision is intended to address University-wide budget pressures as well as an opportunity to create an expanded, cost-effective and mutually beneficial arrangement with Sodexo,” the statement said.

It continued to state that areas within the Department of Facilities Management, Housing and Residence Life and Downing Student Union would not be impacted.

University President Gary Ransdell also mentioned the employment change in an email sent Wednesday afternoon about the university’s budget plans.

“A particularly difficult but necessary decision is to transfer our Building Services and Grounds employees to our private contract with Sodexo, just as our private contract with Aramark several years ago,” Ransdell said in an email. “Exceptions will be made for those employees who are near retirement eligibility.”

Bryan Russell, Chief Facilities Officer, and Brian Kuster, Vice President for Student Affairs, were reached for comment but did not answer at this time.

The Herald will provide updates on the situation as information becomes available.