Major Redz to hold auditions for new members

KJ Hall

With their unique style of dancing and abundance of WKU spirit, you may have noticed the Major Redz ladies dancing at a football game or perhaps in the Homecoming Parade.

The Major Redz perform Majorette-style dancing, a combination of hip-hop and jazz.

“This style of dance originated at historically black colleges and universities and is performed during athletic events and in parades at these institutions,” Evansville junior and captain of the Major Redz Jessica Jackson said.

The Major Redz are looking for girls with positive attitudes, strong dance abilities, great showmanship and a willingness to learn since Majorette-style dancing can be difficult for those who have never done it before, Jackson added.

“Girls should try out for Major Redz because it is a great way to get involved on campus while creating strong relationships with other girls on campus who have similar interests,” said Jackson, who joined the team at the end of her freshman year. She said she has made some of her best friends by being on the team.

Jackson was an athlete in high school and joined the team to stay in shape and to feel like she was a part of WKU, she said.

A panel of judges at the tryouts, along with Major Redz advisor Josclynn Brandon and student coach Shantel Pettway, who is also a reporter for the Herald, will decide the 2016-2017 team.

There is not a set number of girls the team is looking for, and all current members of the team are required to try out again Jackson said.

Being a part of the Major Redz has give me a sense of belonging here at WKU. I cheered all through high school, so to switch to dance makes me wish I would’ve danced all my life.

Louisville sophomore Brittany Perry will be trying out for her third season dancing with the Major Redz.

Perry tried out for the team her freshman year with a friend. She didn’t know much about the team or how to dance in its style but was one of the few to make the 2014-2015 team, she said.

“Being a part of the Major Redz has give me a sense of belonging here at WKU,” Perry said. “I cheered all through high school, so to switch to dance makes me wish I would’ve danced all my life.”

Perry said she has been preparing for tryouts by working out and building endurance.

“That’s important because you have to make it look easy by keeping a smile when you’re physically tired and hot,” Perry said.

Both Jackson and Perry look forward to tryouts and another year dancing with their friends as part of the Major Redz.

At WKU, the Major Redz dance at football games, in parades, in their annual talent show and during various events on campus. Their first dance is typically during M.A.S.T.E.R Plan, WKU’s freshman orientation week. This year, the Major Redz will be teaming up with the Campus Activities Board to host “Wild N’ Out” on April 15.

Tryouts will be held in the Preston Center Friday from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon. On Sunday, tryouts will also take place at 10 a.m. in Downing Student Union room 2113. A $10.00 audition fee is required as well as proof of acceptance or enrollment.