EDITORIAL: Tops on top but ranking as bottom

The issue: WKU dropped seven spots on Trojan Condoms’ annual Sexual Health Report Card.

Our stance: Going down is fine in the bedroom, but the WKU administration needs to work harder to promote sexual health for the student population.

For the third year in a row, WKU has dropped in the ranking. Declining from a No. 66 spot in 2013, WKU moved to No. 84 last year and is currently resting at No. 91. 

WKU continues to be the least sexually healthy school in the state. We’ve got some stiff competition. The University of Louisville and University of Kentucky are beating WKU by more than 50 places. The two cuddle together side by side, U of L at No. 35 and UK at No. 36.

Last year Melissa Smith, a public relations representative for the health report, told the Herald rankings usually change when schools make an effort to increase their sexual health standing. WKU is continuing to put in little effort to promote healthy sexual practices.

WKU needs to get its act together — and not just to raise its rank. It needs to improve because it is important for young adults to have healthy sex lives. 

Health Services offers free HIV testing, but the times and dates aren’t advertised as widely as they should be. Information about STD testing should be common knowledge on campus and readily accessible. 

Access to free condoms is available in an office on the side of Health Services, but it’s a bit hidden and takes some investigating to find. There is limited access to the office, which is only open until 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday and closes at noon on Friday and Saturday. 

There is a need for access to condoms on the weekend, and there needs to be more convenient access to them during the week. Making them available in places like Downing Student Union would help students be more comfortable when seeking out condoms and allow access at more convenient hours. 

WKU needs to work harder to reach out to students about contraception, prevention of STDs and consent. Health Services especially needs to make more of an effort to organize information sessions and hand out condoms so the university can progress. 

We’ve ignored this issue for the past three years, but we should not continue to do so.