WKU topples North Texas, remains atop C-USA with perfect league record

Sophomore Jessica Lucas sets the ball during the UTSA game at Diddle Arena, Oct. 9, 2015. Abbey Tanner/HERALD

Matthew Stewart

Coming away with another winning weekend on the road, the WKU volleyball team (21-2) is now riding a 15-game winning streak sitting atop the Conference USA with an unbeaten 8-0 record.

The Lady Toppers continue to sit pretty as they stay at 22 in the AVCA poll.

This past weekend was a big story line for C-USA volleyball with the matchup for the top spot in the conference with a game of unbeaten teams in WKU and North Texas. Both teams have a nationally recognized offensive standout on their roster that play a major role in the outcome of the game.

This past weekend it was sophomore outside hitter Alyssa Cavanaugh that led her Hilltoppers to victory over Carnae Dillard and the Mean Green of North Texas to capture the title of first place in the conference and maintain a perfect record in league play.

Cavanaugh led the way against North Texas on Sunday with 16 kills compared to Dillard’s 30-kill performance. The offense was also supplemented by a host of Lady Toppers chipping in to take home a victory in the battle that went the distance of all five sets. Freshman Rachel Anderson notched a career-high 14 kills. Seniors Noelle Langenkamp and Haley Bodway each had 11 kills of their own. Sophomore Sydney Engle added 10 as well to help seal the deal.

Sophomore setter, Jessica Lucas, had a monster night. Lucas had 56 assists, a career high, which was helped immensely by having a hot hitting team surrounding her Sunday. This was Lucas’ 11th double double of the year. She also recorded 11 digs of her own.

“Jessica is our quarterback, she is doing a good job passing the ball and allowing our hitters to have success,” said Head Coach Travis Hudson.

On the other hand, the first game of the weekend for the Lady Tops was yet another sweep. The Toppers faced off against Charlotte and took them down in three sets. With another big offensive game for WKU the team was looking good. Langenkamp led the way with a .476 hitting percentage. Anderson and Cavanaugh each added 10 kills in the match.

Defensively the Toppers were clicking on all cylinders. Senior defensive specialist, Rachel Engle, led the way with 10 digs as WKU kept Charlotte to hitting just .137 as a team on the day. The group of Georgia O’Connell, Kaelin Grimes and Jackie Scott each added nine. 

The Lady Toppers will be back at home this weekend playing in Diddle Arena. They are set to take the court against University of Alabama Birmingham on Friday and Florida Atlantic University on Sunday.

Be sure to check the Herald on Thursday for a closer look at this weekends matches.