HCIC building dedicated in official ceremony

President Gary Ransdell acknowledges donors and other supporters who contributed to building of the new Honors College and International Center in his speech at the dedication ceremony on Friday. During the ceremony, President Ransdell announced that a portion of the $22 million building will be paid for using WKU’s international student’s tuition. Jake Pope/Special to the Herald

Tommy Sullivan

A little over one year and $22 million later, the Honors College and International Center was formally welcomed to WKU.

In a ceremony on Friday, HCIC was officially dedicated.

Jay Todd Richey, SGA president and student regent, led the ceremony. He called the building a milestone for the university’s mission statement.

“It is the new home to many of our nationally-renowned offices and programs,” said Richey.

He emphasized the importance of global learning.

“An education cannot be limited to merely a state or even national border,” Richey said.

Sean Jacobson, a Louisville senior and HonorsTopper, said the spirit of the building’s people makes it special, not its brick and mortar.

“While it is a great privilege for us students to have the resources of this building, it should never change the people-oriented mission that lies at the heart of the Honors College community,” he said.

Representative Jody Richards represents sections of Warren county in the Kentucky legislature and is the Kentucky House’s speaker pro tempore. He played a role in the project’s approval.

Richards called HCIC a well-finished and gorgeous building that underscores the importance of international education under President Gary Ransdell.

Raymond Cravens served as the first director for the Cooperative Center for Study Abroad and currently teaches American government to international students.

“This is the finest international center in the country,” Cravens said.

Ellen Lindor, a Louisville senior, said the tutorial rooms have glass that can be used as a white board.

Before this year, flagship students had to plan tutoring sessions at Java City, Mass Media and Technology Hall or another public spot on campus. The new rooms provide fewer distractions and increased focus, said Lindor.

The Chinese Language Flagship Program has been moved frequently, according to Lindor. She said her Chinese classes have often been in different buildings.

“We’ve never actually had a home,” said Lindor.