Workshop series to support student involvement

Kalee Chism

Clubs, organizations, schoolwork and social events all make up the hectic life of a college student. But On Top Tuesdays is being offered to teach students why being involved on campus and in the community should be a part of their schedules.

On Top Tuesdays, a workshop series that began last semester, is a joint effort between the WKU ALIVE Center for Community Partnerships and the Center for Career and Professional Development.

“It’s an opportunity for students to learn how to get involved on campus and in the community and how it can impact their college experience and life after college,” said Aurelia Spaulding, communications and marketing coordinator at the ALIVE Center.

The program is a way for ALIVE Center graduate students to discuss their experiences and share what their academic preparation has taught them.

“The program is a professional development opportunity for students, created by students,” said Leah Ashwill, the director of WKU’s ALIVE Center.

The program focuses on activities that can benefit students after they finish their education. It helps students find ways to get involved in organizations that connect them to the community.

“Students get so focused on their schoolwork and their clubs and organizations that they forget sometimes that there’s an end to this experience,” said Becky Tinker, the associate director of the Center for Career and Professional Development. “I think that [the] On Top Tuesdays program gives students an opportunity to think about what life can be like after they finish their education.”

Four workshops are scheduled for the school year. The first begins tonight in Downing Student Union at 6:30 p.m. Graduate assistant Kene Anyigbo will start off the series with his presentation “How Service Learning Prepares Students for Life After College.” The next three workshops are scheduled for Nov. 10, Feb. 16 and March 1.

“The impact we are hoping to achieve is the increased facility and student involvement in service-learning projects to enhance student learning and development,” said Anyigbo in an email.

Jamye Hardy, another graduate assistant, will present “The Anatomy of a Leader” on Nov. 10. The topics of the last two workshops have yet to be announced.

“The students will be able to take away at least one or two things from each session and identify how they might bring back that knowledge toward their personal development in college and in the community,” said Spaulding. “We want them to have experiences here in college and to be able to develop personally and professionally.”