SGA discusses listening tours, Sustainability Day

Marcel Mayo

The Student Government Association will begin listening tours to extended campuses in mid-November.

During his report in Tuesday’s meeting, SGA President Jay Todd Richey reminded SGA members about the listening tours on WKU’s extended campuses.

Richey said the first tour is at the Glasgow campus on Nov. 10 at 11:30 a.m. The second is at the Owensboro campus on Nov. 11 at 2:00 p.m. The last tour is at the Elizabethtown/Ft. Knox campus on Nov. 12 at 12:00 p.m.

Richey is going to these regional campuses to discuss students’ issues or concerns and what SGA can do to help. All students are welcome to be a part of the conversation.

“The idea is that we are having a presence at our regional campuses to answer any questions a student might have,” Richey said.

Several other topics were mentioned throughout the meeting.

One topic was the addition of new Colonnade classes. The classes includePolitical Science 365, Government Politics of the Middle East, Music Anthropology and Folk Studies 257, Intro to World Music, Journalism 310 Media Diversity, Philosophy 212 and Korean 102. These classes will be offered next semester.

Sustainability Committee Chairwoman Chelsea Faught says Sustainability Day is quickly approaching as well. On Oct. 28, a series of events will take place at Ransdell Hall, the fine arts center recital hall and Augenstein Alumni Center.

The day will begin with a breakfast at 8:00 a.m. in Downing Student Union. From 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., there will be a GreenToppers event in front of the bookstore where people can carve pumpkins.

President Gary Ransdell will also speak at an event in Ransdell Hall.

From 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m., a leadership event will begin in the Music Hall for a scavenger hunt. To wrap up, there will be a dinner in the Augenstein Alumni Center accompanied with music.

The University Senate passed Bill 5-15-F, Funding from Organizational Aid Appropriations for the Kentucky Public Health Association WKU Chapter and Mastering Accessible Possibilities for Students.

Chief Justice Kelsey Luttrell said a pregnancy resource center would be helpful for mothers on campus. Luttrell said a pregnancy resource center could offer breast feeding areas, play areas, daycares while students are in classes and changing stations.

“I think being a mom on campus gave me a unique perspective on things such as trying to breastfeed and go to classes,” Luttrell said. “There’s no lactation centers on campus, and I know students expressed interest in that.”