Letter to the editor – Transfer Scholarships clarified after editorial

In response to the editorial “Restructuring of Scholarship Program Leaves Students Confused,” published Sept. 7 in the Opinion section, I would like to clarify information specifically related to transfer students and current students.

Students transferring from any university, college or community college beginning in fall 2016 will be eligible for a Transfer Base Award of $1,500 if they have a GPA of 3.5 to 3.79 and $2,500 if they have a GPA of 3.8 and above. Additionally, students transferring with an associate’s degree are eligible for $1,500 if they have a 3.0 or above GPA, and they can stack that award with the Transfer Base Award if they have a qualifying GPA.  Transfer students are not eligible for the Cherry Presidential Award, as stated in your editorial. The Cherry Presidential Award is limited to beginning freshmen only.  

It is correct that current students who are receiving scholarships from WKU will see no change. However, students who currently have a scholarship do not complete a returning student scholarship application. Renewal of awards is based on GPA. Current students wishing to apply for scholarships not awarded to them as beginning freshmen may do so after Feb. 1, and those applications are due by April 15.  

Students with questions should contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance at 270-745-2755.

Thank you.

‑Cindy Burnette

Director of Student Financial

Assistance