Board of Regents approves new degrees, parking options

Jessica Voorhees

The Board of Regents approved a Bachelor of Science in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, the 2016-2022 Capital Plan and the 2015-16 tuition and fees schedule at its second quarterly meeting.

The Board convened at Mass Media & Technology Hall Friday on to discuss and vote on various academic, financial and executive action items.  

The Board approved several degree programs.

Cheryl Stevens, dean of Ogden College, and Engineering Department Head Julie Ellis, as well as about 20 students and faculty within the engineering department joined the meeting to celebrate the majors’s institution. 

“We’re just here to observe and witness this moment,” Ellis said. 

Clapping and waving of red flags from all in the room followed the Board’s unanimous approval of the degrees. 

The Board also approved Graduate Certificates in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Emergency Nurse Practitioner and Intercollegiate Athletic Administration. 

They approved an Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Patient Navigator and Minors in Neuroscience and Clinical and Community Behavioral Health. 

The Board also approved the University’s 2016-2022 Capital Plan, as well as the purchase of the 1840 Russellville Road property for a parking lot.

Brad Wheeler, assistant vice president of resources management, said the property will be used as a swing-space parking lot during the parking structure’s construction, for commuter parking, athletic overflow parking and for bus event parking. 

Wheeler said in a student survey, commuters preferred this location since many come to campus from that road. 

He said the lot will hold 125 to 150 spaces, and will cost $340,000 plus closing costs. 

Jennifer Tougas, director of parking and transportation services, said operation funds will be used to purchase the land.

The Board approved the 2015-16 tuition and fees schedule and the SGA resolution for the introduction of a $30 student fee to support a new parking structure, which will be prorated for part-time students. 

The Board granted four faculty members Emeritus status. Ric Keaster, professor of Educational administration, Bart White, professor of the School of Journalism and Broadcasting, Mitzi White, professor of Music and Barry Brunson, professor of Mathematics, received faculty Emeriti appointment. 

The Board will reconvene on June 26 for a special budget approval meeting.