HRL hosting Geek Week comic book dance

Samantha Wright

As a part of Geek Week, students will get the chance to dress up like their favorite superheroes. 

Thursday at 7 p.m. is the Comic Book Ball, hosted in Downing Student Union Nite Class. This is the second year the Comic Book Ball has taken place. The event will wrap up Geek Week, a series of events hosted by Housing and Residence Life.

Sharminic Washington, a coordinator for HRL, said the program is a fun change of pace.

“This program offers students to show their love for everything comic books and beyond and is something fun that is a change from traditional programs,” she said in an email.

There will be a costume contest, with members of the HRL program committee as judges. Prizes will be awarded to the winners. Refreshments will be provided.

Blair Jensen, assistant director of HRL, said it always draws a crowd and she’s looking forward to the event. About 50 students attended the event last year. Jensen said the previous event invited a multitude of comic book and cartoon fans alike.

“We had people dressed up as Spider-Man, we had a Batman, we had a Robin,” she said. “We had two girls that came dressed as cartoon characters from ‘Adventure Time.’” 

Jensen hopes that this year’s ball attracts a bigger crowd.

“It’s sure to be a good time,” she said. “It’s just meant to be a fun social activity where students can kind of dance the night away dressed as their favorite comic book character.”

Preceding the ball, HRL hosted Zombie Walk in which students donned zombie makeup and roamed from Centennial Mall to the south end of campus and back.