Award-winning journalists to present to students

Samantha Wright

UPDATE: Due to the threat of inclement weather, Macy and Soares’s presentation has been moved up to 3 p.m. on March 4. 

Award-winning author and newspaper reporter Beth Macy and nationally-renown photographer Jared Soares will give a talk entitled “Outsiders and Underdogs: Telling the Untold Stories of Globalization’s Aftermath” on Wednesday March 4. 

This talk is a part of the 11th annual School of Journalism & Broadcasting’s John B. Gaines Family Lecture Series. The free event starts at 7:30 p.m. in the Mass Media and Technology Hall auditorium, and is open to the public. A book signing by Macy and a picture presentation by Soares will follow.

The series, which launched in 2004 as a tribute to the 150th anniversary of the Gaines’ family-owned Bowling Green Daily News, brings award-winning journalists to WKU. Past speakers have included Peter Essick, a National Geographic photographer, in 2014, and Todd Gilman, the Washington Bureau Chief for the Dallas Morning News, in 2013. 

Professor Josh Meltzer, assistant professor of journalism and a member of the Gaines Family Lecture Committee, said several factors lead them to ask Macy and Soares to speak, one of which was their embodiment of ideals WKU desires.

“The school is pressing for more collaboration between students and classes, and you know, working together, and this is a great example of that because Jared started a project that inspired Macy to do a newspaper series, which then inspired her to do a full length book, so it’s definitely about journalists working together,” he said. 

Macy won a Lukas prize for her nonfiction book, “Factory Man: How One Furniture Maker Battled Offshoring, Stayed Local — and Helped Save an American Town.” She has also received several awards during her long career as a newspaper reporter, including the prestigious Nieman Fellowship for Journalism from Harvard University in 2010.

Soares is an award-winning, independent photographer based in Washington, D.C. His clients include Discovery, The New York Times, Microsoft and The Wall Street Journal. Some of his work is held in the public collections of the Sloane Art Library at the University of North Carolina, the Indie Photobook Library and the Portland Art Museum. He also has solo exhibitions held in several galleries, including the Warner Gallery in Middletown, Delaware and the Blue Sky Gallery in Portland, Oregon.

Amanda Crawford, an assistant professor of journalism, and another member of the Gaines Family Lecture Committee, thinks Macy and Soares’ talk will benefit both students and the community.

“I think Beth Macy’s and Jared Soares’ work is an example to our students of the kind of excellent reporting and photojournalism that can be done in world communities and our states to show international issues,” she said. “Beth’s book really looks at globalization and the impact on workers and communities, and certainly these are issues that are relevant to us here in our community.”

In addition to the talk, Macy will speak in the advanced reporting class on Wednesday, March 4 at 1:50 p.m. in MMTH room 227, and the feature writing class on Thursday, March 5 at 9:35 a.m. in the same room. Soares will speak at the picture stories class on Wednesday,- March 4 at 1:50 p.m. in MMTH Room 118, and also will review student portfolios on March 5 from 9 a.m. to noon. These events are for students of the classes, but others are welcome to sit in.