Swimming update

Herald Sports Staff

NCAA Swim Tournament 

The WKU women’s swim team was represented by two athletes at the NCAA championships in  Greensboro, North Carolina. 

Senior Susan Marquess ended her WKU career with a 1:55.8 clocking in the 200-meter butterfly, good for 22nd place in the meet and just .22 seconds shy of a spot in the finals of the event. 

Sophomore Nadine Laemmler completed her first full season as a Lady Topper with a trip to the NCAA championship, after joining as a freshman mid-season. Her inaugural trip yielded a 34th place finish in the 200-meter backstroke at 1:54.61. 

The men’s program is yet to compete in the NCAA championships, with sophomore All-American Fabian Schwingenschlogl entering as WKU’s only representative. He made his NCAA championship debut as a freshman last season, and finished eighth in the 100-meter breaststroke at 52.25. 

Schwingenschlogl will travel to Iowa City, Iowa this weekend for competition.

CSCAA National Invite 

Senior TJ Bland has highlighted WKU swimming’s presence at the CSCAA National Invite in Texas thus far. 

Bland, who finished second at the C-USA championships in the 100-meter breaststroke behind Schwingenschlogol, won the event this weekend with a time of 53.42.  Sophomore David Randburger placed sixth in the same event at 55.52. 

Freshman Ryan Burcham put forward the second-most notable showing for WKU on the weekend, clocking a time of 48.53  in the 100-meter butterfly, good for second place.  

Junior Chris Goodman, Bland, freshman John Smith, and junior Brennan Elsas’ 200-meter medley relay placed third with a time of 1:31.42. 

On the women’s side, a fifth-place finish of 4:31.17 from senior Ashley Forsyth in the 400 IM has been the strongest showing through two days of competition.  

The 200 medley relay of senior Allie Duff, senior Taylor Counter, sophomore Andrea VanderMey, and junior Mollie McNeel placed sixth with a time of 1:46.32. 

Competition concluded on Wednesday, but as of press time Wednesday night, the results from day three had not been made available.