SGA passes bill promoting farmers market, swears in senator

Anna Lawson

Student Government Association passed a new bill which supports SGA funding for the community farmers market. Bill 4-15-S, Funding to Support the Community Farmers Market passed unanimously and without debate.

Brian Chism, an author of the bill, said the intent of the bill was to let students know the options that are available to them.

“Ultimately I think it would help make our food and body healthier, and that’s kind of why we’re promoting this bill,” Chism said.

The bill states that SGA will allocate $500 to the Office of Sustainability to promote the Community Farmers Market. The money will come out of Legislative discretionary funds.

Thomas Poole was sworn in as a senator. He is a first-year student at WKU. He said he wants to be a senator because he wants to make a difference on campus.

“I really do want to stand up for what the students want and need and I would love to serve them by fulfilling any need that arise,” he said. “Simply put, I want to serve.”

There are currently five open spots on the senate. Taylor encouraged other Senators to reach out and help to fill those spots.

Tyler Skaggs, the Director of Campus Improvement also said he would announce the date for the safety walk at the next meeting. However, he said it is being planned for the week of April 19th.

SGA President Nicki Taylor said she is pleased with how the election is going.

“Since the election has started our Facebook posts are reaching about a thousand people a week, which is crazy,” she said.

Taylor also spoke about a potential restaurant in Garrett Conference Center which would serve alcohol.

“It doesn’t look like that’s gonna be open for fall of 2015 unless the ball gets rolling really quickly,” she said.

Jay Todd Richey, speaker of the Senate, said he was planning a meet and greet with the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion and SGA.

“If we are always talking about we need more diversity in student government, we need more representation, we need more voices to be heard then a great way to do so is to reach out to those students,” he said.