Board of Regents committees to convene Friday

Jessica Voorhees

The Board of Regents will convene Friday for its first committee meeting of the semester to discuss the Student Government Association resolution supporting a student fee for a new parking structure, several new degrees and the university’s six-year capital plan.

The Student Affairs Committee will present the SGA resolution to implement a $30 student fee to fund the construction of a new $10 million dollar parking structure. The Creason Lot is the speculated location for the new structure. 

SGA passed the resolution in late February. If passed by the Board of Regents, it will go on to the Council on Postsecondary Education for final approval. 

The Board will also discuss the addition of graduate certificates in Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Emergency Nurse Practitioner and Intercollegiate Athletic Administration. 

It will review a undergraduate certificate in Interdisciplinary Patient Navigator and a Bachelor of Science in Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, as well as minors in neuroscience and clinical and community behavior health. 

The Board of Regents will also discuss the 2015-2016 tuition and fees schedule and budget development updates. 

The Executive Committee will present on the university’s 2016-2022 Six-Year Capital Plan, which consists of facilities projects, such as construction, that are budgeted separately from the WKU operating budget.

Bryan Russell, chief facilities officer, said the six-year plan includes a list of around 40 projects concerning maintenance, construction and renovation that will be submitted for approval to be funded by the state. 

“The six-year capital plan is basically a needs assessment for the campus,” he said.

Russell said the first project on the list is Gordon Ford College of Business renovation, and the second deals with infrastructure, such as high voltage. 

The state funded the demolition and remodeling of the Thompson Complex six years ago, and the construction of Gary Ransdell Hall in 2006.

The Board of Regents will convene Friday at 9 a.m. in the Cornelius A. Martin Regents Room at Mass Media & Technology Hall.