Cavanaugh, Lucas earn AVCA All-America honors

WKU freshmen volleyball players Jessica Lucas (left) and Alyssa Cavanaugh are two of five freshmen on the volleyball team this season. Lucas, last week’s C-USA Setter of the Week, has a total of 424 assists in 41 sets this season. Cavanaugh has 113 kills in 12 games. Nick Wagner/HERALD

Jonah Phillips

After earning AVCA All-South Region awards earlier this month, the freshman duo of outside hitter Alyssa Cavanaugh and setter Jessica Lucas have been named Honorable Mention All-Americans by the American Volleyball Coaches Association.

The honors bring WKU’s total to 13 AVCA All-America selections since 2005. The two had an illustrious first season in the Conference USA, being named to C-USA’s First-Team All-Conference, All-Freshman and All-Tournament teams.

Cavanaugh and Lucas join Megan Argabright and Melanie Stutsman as the only freshmen in program history to earn the distinction.

Cavanaugh was named the C-USA Freshman of the Year, leading the Lady Toppers with 3.37 kills per set with 411 total kills. Her kills per set helped WKU rank top 30 in the nation with 13.97 kills per set.

Lucas conducted WKU’s offense in her freshman campaign, guiding the team to rank 13th in the nation with a .273 hitting percentage. Lucas totaled 1,338 assist for WKU, averaging 10.88 per set. Named C-USA Setter of the Week twice this season, Lucas buckled down during conference play with 11.62 assists per set. Lucas led all C-USA setters with 166 kills and 85 blocks.  She had the second most digs of any setter with 306.