WKU Students prepare for Finals Week

Leah Brown

It’s that time of the year again.

Procrastinators fill the computer labs of Mass Media and Technology Hall with last minute cramming until the early morning hours while Einstein’s line is out the door with zombie-like students begging for more coffee.

However, there are alternatives offered on campus to cope with the dreadful stress of finals.

Betsy Pierce, the Counseling and Testing Center’s outreach coordinator, said the center will offer sessions to help teach students the best way to deal with stress and ways to reduce stress, as they do throughout the year. 

The Academic Advising & Retention Center will also continue to offer free tutoring sessions to any student in need, said student staff worker, Mount Sterling senior Tori Conyers.

Helm and Cravens Libraries will stay open an extra two hours, until 2 a.m. every night during finals week. Java City will also motivate students with free coffee and pastries each night.

Some students may find studying off campus beneficial as well.

Louisville junior Hannah Dickerson said she spends most of her time doing homework at Spencer’s Coffee at the Square. She plans to study for her finals there as well.

“Next week I will be staying up a little later than normal,” Dickerson said. “Starting this week I will be making studying guides so I don’t have to cram.”

Next week, students may be waking up a little earlier than normal. Exam times for classes are set at different times than when the class originally meets. Students can find their exam schedules for fall semester on WKU’s official website.

Many students will receive the luxury of extra study time on Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. since no exams are scheduled during those time slots.

White House, Tennessee senior Lauren Sanders said she is using this week to figure out how difficult finals week will be.

“I’m just finishing homework, trying to get grades back so I know how much I need to study,” she said.