WKU updates Title IX compliance policy

Leah Brown

WKU has recently rolled out a new policy that covers all sexual misconduct and assault in accordance with the Title IX policy. 

WKU has mandatory sexual misconduct and assault reporting across campus, as required by the university’s Title IX policies. Faculty and staff have the responsibility to report any evidence of sexual misconduct. Students may report to faculty, but may also file an anonymous report online as well. The report must include the alleged victim, the alleged offender and a summary of the instance.

“I think you will see more reporting and students will be more open,” Huda Melky, the Equal Opportunity director and Title IX coordinator, said.  

Melky is responsible for overseeing investigations relating to complaints of sexual misconduct.

Melky said Title IX encompasses a wide variety of issues and has evolved over time.

“Title IX changed from being an athletics equity between male and female sports to now including sexual harassment and sexual assault,” she said. 

Investigations of filed reports are conducted by Michael Crowe, director of Judicial Affairs, and Joshua Hayes, assistant director of Equal Employment Opportunity. Both are Title IX deputies and investigators. 

The two complete investigations through a series of steps. They interview the individual who filed a complaint, interview the person(s) accused of engaging in sexual misconduct and issue a final report that summarizes the investigation.

Melky said the key of reporting incidents is to help the victim deal with the problem rather than feel like they caused the problem. 

Chief Diversity Officer Richard Miller said one issue that people need to understand is what constitutes sexual misconduct.

According to the Title IX page on the Department of Judicial Affairs’ website, sexual misconduct or assault includes intentional and unwelcomed touching, forcing another individual to touch a person’s intimate parts, sexual intercourse without consent and non-consensual sexual contact, including sodomy and attempted rape.

There is a video on TopNet that describes what Title IX is about and what constitutes sexual assault. It is mandatory that all faculty, staff and student employees watch the video. If they fail to do so, the video will flash on their TopNet until it is viewed.

Melky said she has seen faculty and staff more alert on campus as a result of the Title IX compliance change.

“I feel if you have a mechanism of reporting, then you will have a better handle on how to resolve those issues,” Melky said.

to touch a person’s intimate parts, sexual intercourse without consent and non-consensual sexual contact, including sodomy and attempted rape.