SGA discusses amendments to Glasgow’s SGA constitution

Lashana Harney

The Student Government Association convened for it’s last October meeting on Tuesday.

Chief of Staff Seth Church said there are amendments for Glasgow’s SGA constitution up for first read.

“Basically, because Glasgow is a regional campus, they have had a real issue getting a lot of student involvement and their constitution is modeled after ours and they have really struggled keeping people in SGA there,” Church said.

Church said in order to help Glasgow’s SGA out, they have decided to drastically change their constitution. Glasgow’s SGA voted on the amendment and approved it. SGA on the main campus will vote on the approval of the amendment in upcoming meetings.

Administrative Vice President Liz Koehler said during Homecoming, SGA plans to showcase their new senate chambers and provide refreshments for SGA alumni and SGA senators.

Church said the Cultural and Diversity Affairs Committee had a successful first meeting. He said the committee is welcoming more students.

Bill 11-14-F, Funding from Organizational Aid Appropriations for Phi Alpha Theta, Alpha Psi Omega, WKU Pre-Pharmacy Club, Financial Planning Association, Relay for Life of Western Kentucky University, WKU Best Buddies and TopperWell Peer Health Educators, was passed with no debate.

The bill allocates $3,050 to be dispersed to these various organizations. Phi Alpha Theta will be allocated $50 and the other listed organizations received $500.

SGA had a guest speaker after the meeting. Mackenzie Perkins, a graduate assistant in Public Health, spoke to SGA about gaining their support in regards to obtaining a smoke-free policy on campus.

President Gary Ransdell said he would want the support of two organizations, consisting of SGA, University Senate or the Staff Council, before continuing forward, according to a document distributed at the meeting. 

“This is a pressing matter and WKU is a little bit behind in talking about smoke free campus,” Perkins said.