WKU hosts “Food Fight” food drive

Erian Bradley

There’s a Food Fight going on on campus, but there’s no food being thrown. Instead, it’s being collected for a good cause. 

From Sept. 22 through Oct. 22, the department of Leadership & Volunteerism, of the Student Activities offices, will be promoting their second annual food drive — the WKU Food Fight — as a part of Make A Difference Day 2014.

Make A Difference Day is a national day created by USA WEEKEND Magazine that recognizes the contributions of everyday people who improve their communities, according to its official website. 

Allie Sharp, graduate assistant of Student Activities, said the department of Leadership & Volunteerism always does something for Make A Difference Day. 

The food drive is done online. In order to participate, groups such as campus organizations or clubs sign up through Student Activities for free. Once registered, YouGiveGoods, a website that hosts online donation drives, sets up the online drive page. The group will then receive a link from Sharp that can be shared with others.

Student Activities tracks the donated food through a live leaderboard. 

The registered groups can donate to one of three organizations: The Salvation Army of Bowling Green, the Barren River Area Safe Space and the WKU Food Pantry. 

Sharp said the drive is called WKU Food Fight because it demands attention.

“If you see that in an email subject line, you may be more likely to click on it… ” she said. “We wanted it to be something kind of exciting, something fun for people to do…”

This drive is limited to Bowling Green only.

The food drive functions as a fundraiser and a competition. The competition winner gets announced at the WKU football game against the Old Dominion Monarchs on Oct. 25, which falls on Make A Difference Day. 

Sharp said there were multiple reasons for this food drive.

“The reason why we do this is to help out our local community,” Sharp said. “We’re a part of this community. Western’s a part of this community. We want to help out the students and neighborhoods who we know, personally, need our help.”